1. What’s your story? Where are you from?
I’m an illustrator/artist currently living in Brooklyn, NY. I moved here in 2011 after undergrad, but I’m originally from Boulder, Colorado.
2. Tell us about your aesthetic.
Saturated, playful, sensual, trippy.
3. What is your favourite medium and why?
Watercolor because it’s organic and unpredictable.
4. What is your artistic process like?
I try to paint every day. I used to be very fussy about sketching and planning but lately have been much more free form.
5. Who and/or what inspires your work?
I get a lot of inspiration from mythology, sci fi, tarot, children’s books, botanical illustrations, and old sewing patterns.
6. What role does art play in your life? How does it change the way you view the world?
I believe that art not only serves as a reflection of life, but as a direction for life as well. Images have the power to transport, elevate, and enlighten the viewer; to show them a world not yet realized like a blueprint.
7. Where did you study?
I studied art history and studio art at Oberlin College.
8. Where do you see yourself in five years? Working in an agency?
I’d love to continue working at Cavin-Morris Gallery where I currently work, in addition to doing freelance projects.
9. What about in ten?
Ideally self-employed and living somewhere much warmer than NYC ;P
10. What do you hope to achieve with your art?
Painting is a really calming and meditative activity for me so that is my primary motive. Bringing people joy is my second goal though. Would really like to expand into making textiles soon also.
11. Now, tell us a little more about you as a person: what is your favourite food?
Currently my favorite food is Van Leeuwen Earl Grey Ice Cream. It’s really next level.
12. Favourite book?
Harry Potter (duh)
13. Favourite genre of music?
R&B, hip hop, dancehall
14. What are your hobbies?
Yoga, films, playing outdoors
15. If you weren’t an artist, what would you be?
Would love to be a florist or maybe the barefoot Contessa.