1. What’s your story? Where are you from?
Hello I’m Jennifer and I like making things. I grew up in North Carolina, but didn’t like it that much.
2. Tell us about your aesthetic.
Thoughtful playtime like a kid looking at a bug.
3. What is your favourite medium and why?
The basic hard round brush in photoshop and markers. I like the immediacy of them.
4. What is your artistic process like?
I spend most of my time sitting and thinking of ideas. Sometimes I stand and think of ideas. Once I have my great idea my process is pretty straightforward; I’ll sketch and then work on top of that.
5. Who and/or what inspires your work?
Objects from my childhood. Things that make me happy and even things that make me sad.
6. What role does art play in your life? How does it change the way you view the world?
Art is a big deal to me. It’s helped shape my taste in everything and has made me more observant. I like looking at packaging at the grocery store. My favorite thing is when snacks or cereal have mascots. Some of the best (and worst) illustration can be seen on snack packaging.
7. Where did you study?
I’m patiently finishing my last year at RISD.
8. Where do you see yourself in five years?
Realistically? I have no idea, but ideally looking at a playground I designed. (If you’re building a park let me build a playground for you.)
9. What about in ten?
Everyone loved the first playground I designed so now I’m traveling the world building playgrounds everywhere.
10. What do you hope to achieve with your art?
Lately, I’ve been dreaming about EGOTing (where you win an emmy, a grammy, an oscar, and a tony award) but I don’t think that’s ever going to happen so I guess instead of personal prestige I like making people happy when they see my work.
11. Now, tell us a little more about you as a person: what is your favourite food?
12. Favourite book?
I think about Building Stories by Chris Ware a lot.
13. Favourite genre of music?
My spotify account recently told me that my most listened to genre was “indie pop” whatever that means. I like early 2000s pop too.
14. What are your hobbies?
I’ve been running a joke food review blog (@foodcrits) with my friends Fiona and Jonathan for the past two years which has become my main hobby.
15. If you weren’t an artist, what would you be?
Extremely unemployable. (I’m not qualified at all for any of these jobs but alternative dream jobs include: screenwriter and food/movie critic).