1. What’s your story? Where are you from?
Hi I’m Jieun. I was born in Seoul, Korea where I spent most of my life. I moved to Toronto not long ago and I have been here ever since.
2. Tell us about your aesthetic.
My work is all about bright colors. I believe happy colors can bring you good memories.
3. What is your favourite medium and why?
Acrylic paints and aerosols. I love them because first, I can work fast. Second, those bright colors!
4. What is your artistic process like?
I make sketches on my iPad first and then transfer it into a bigger canvas. It’s easy for me to see the composition and shapes on iPad.
5. Who and/or what inspires your work?
City and nature. I like to see different shapes of windows in the building as well as like watching sun shining through leaves and cast interesting shapes of shadows.
6. What role does art play in your life? How does it change the way you view the world?
Art is my world. The world that I created and can visit anytime I want.
7. Where did you study?
Washington University in St. Louis, MO., USA. Duksung Women’s University, Seoul, S. Korea
8. Where do you see yourself in five years?
I started as a painter and now moving slowly toward to a muralist. I would love to paint landmark murals in the city.
9. What about in ten?
Finish several large scale murals internationally?!
10. What do you hope to achieve with your art?
Making our life colourful and playful is my goal.
11. Now, tell us a little more about you as a person: what is your favourite food?
Fried chicken with beer, juicy steak with wine, cheese cake with latte.
12. Favourite book?
Game of Thrones.
13. Favourite genre of music?
House, acid jazz.
14. What are your hobbies?
15. If you weren’t an artist, what would you be?