1. What’s your story? Where are you from?
Hi, I’m Julien Brogard, I was born in France. I live in Paris now and work as freelance graphic designer and illustrator.
2. Tell us about your aesthetic.
My aesthetic is mainly colorful. I like to create complex illustrations based on mystical, religious and classic art in a modern way. I also try to develop different styles by working by series.
3. What is your favourite medium and why?
I work with photoshop because it’s much easier to experiment colors, compositions and shapes.
4. What is your artistic process like?
I always draw first on paper, I come with a general idea, very roughly. Then I use my computer and it never look alike the original drawing, I try to go further and further by adding more symbolic details.
5. Who and/or what inspires your work?
Mystical/religious art mainly inspire me. My inspirations are very heterogeneous, I love gothic art and Matisse, I like dark and colors, joy and death, classic and modern.
6. What role does art play in your life? How does it change the way you view the world?
Art is essential to me, I spent most of my time creating things, thinking about it at least. I can’t imagine working in an other field. I’m maybe too young to understand the way it change my vision of the world but i know it’s a very pleasant way to express myself. I like to mix my actual feelings with fiction, hide some pieces of my life in my art.
7. Where did you study?
I studied in Nantes, France. I did a graphic design master at ECV. I began to do illustrations after my degree, 2 years ago.
8. Where do you see yourself in five years? Working in an agency?
Working in an agency could be interesting, i would love to mix graphic design and illustration. I don’t do it very often these days.
9. What about in ten?
Maybe creating my own agency, who knows?
10. What do you hope to achieve with your art?
I hope to touch a wide range of people, developing a curiosity about art and creation.
11. Now, tell us a little more about you as a person: what is your favourite food?
I’m a food lover, it’s difficult to tell what is my favourite food, well, I’m french 😉
12. Favourite book?
I would say A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole. I love the cynical tone and the dramatic faith of the writer.
13. Favourite genre of music?
Once again it’s difficult to pick one genre. I love coldwave, blackmetal but i also listen disco or techno music to party.
14. What are your hobbies?
Obviously drawing, watching films, listening a lot of music. I spent a lot of my time with my friends, drinking fresh beer. I also like to play chess and i thinking to do sport again by writing theses lines.
15. If you weren’t an artist, what would you be?
A very sad person.