1. What’s your story? Where are you from?
I’m originally from Seoul, Korea. I was 13 years old when I landed here in the states. I didn’t speak a word of English but managed to survive middle and high school. Then I went to college in Philadelphia and studied Painting and Graphic Design. Post graduation, I wandering around a bit outside of the states and East Coast. I finally settled down in NYC about five years ago. Currently, I work as an in-house designer for a cable network.
2. Tell us about your aesthetic.
Fun, playful, colorful, corky, strange
3. What is your favourite medium and why?
Oil paint! However, it hasn’t been my main medium for quite some time. All my work is done digitally these days, so drawing tablet has become my most used / favourite medium.
4. What is your artistic process like?
I usually start with a simple element then work out the details as I go. I would say the process is quite spontaneous and organic.
5. Who and/or what inspires your work?
Inspiration can come from anywhere: people, objects, movements, etc. New York City has been good to me. Lots of stimulus—it recharges me.
6. What role does art play in your life? How does it change the way you view the world?
It’s a survival mechanism in a way. It energises me and helps me to go on. I think it also allows you to look beyond what’s seemingly possible.
7. Where did you study?
I went to Tyler School of Art, a small art school in Philadelphia. I really appreciate the kind of training I had there. They prepared me well.
8. Where do you see yourself in five years? Working in an agency?
Hopefully, somewhere nice with lots of sun and a warm breeze!
9. What about in ten?
That’s a little too far in the future, don’t you think?
10. What do you hope to achieve with your art?
Things I make outside my job is purely for my own pleasure and satisfaction. But if it offers or brings something to people, I am honoured!
11. Now, tell us a little more about you as a person: what is your favourite food?
Korean food! Can’t live without it. Gotta have it at least three times a week.
12. Favourite book?
I’m currently reading I love Dick by Chris Kraus and loving it.
13. Favourite genre of music?
Indie pop, electronic..
14. What are your hobbies?
Working on my projects and watching senseless TV shows.
15. If you weren’t an artist, what would you be?
Dental Hygienist—I have a bit of an obsession with clean white teeth.