1. What’s your story? Where are you from?
HI, I’m Haruna Kawai and I’m an artist based in Tokyo.
2. Tell us about your aesthetic.
I created a model of my own imagination and I write it in the picture. Between reality and imagination, I am looking for new beauty.
3. What is your favourite medium and why?
I’m writing on a transparent film by the same method as the cell picture of animation. I like there being character characteristics when I draw it like an animated cartoon.
4. What is your artistic process like?
I think while playing in the form.
5. Who and/or what inspires your work?
Inspiration is a solid object such as sculpture, product, architecture.
6. What role does art play in your life? How does it change the way you view the world?
It helps stir imagination and grow the desire to find new beauty. I respect human imagination.
7. Where did you study?
Studied space design in a technical school. I have been drawing since I was small.
8. Where do you see yourself in five years?
With a sculpture, interior design, a set piece, furniture.
9. What about in ten?
I want to live among one’s things which I made.
10. What do you hope to achieve with your art?
Find new beauty and i want to name it.
11. Now, tell us a little more about you as a person: what is your favourite food?
12. Favourite book?
13. Favourite genre of music?
14. What are your hobbies?
To watch various exhibitions and an animated cartoon.
15. If you weren’t an artist, what would you be?