1. What’s your story? Where are you from?
I’m BAMBOO. I’m living and working in Seoul, Korea. I’m majoring in painting. This BAMBOO identity is for illustration and cartoon. But I also do paint.
2. Tell us about your aesthetic.
My works are basically derived from a story I’ve went through. Last year, I published an independent cartoon book titled “Life Of Miju”. Miju is my female persona in the Korean society. I’m aiming to express the condition of society, especially feminism issue, through cute images.
3. What is your favourite medium and why?
I usually use Photoshop. But when I need to draw cartoon, I prefer Clipstudio.
4. What is your artistic process like?
First of all, I think about the story line which is from the happening around me. then I sketch roughly for giving a shape to the idea. The most important thing in entire process is collecting reference.
5. Who and/or what inspires your work?
There is no specific artist who inspires me, but I get idea mainly from SNS, like Instagram. I enjoy viewing artworks, graphic design works through Instagram.
6. What role does art play in your life? How does it change the way you view the world?
Art made me get some sort of confidence. I’d been introverted person when I was younger, so I’d been afraid to express myself. But now I know that my voice is gradually working on readers.
7. Where did you study?
I got BFA of painting in Seoul National University which located in Seoul / Now I am in the master ‘s course.
8. Where do you see yourself in five years?
I’m going to focus on my original major, painting. I have a lot of interest about contemporary painting, so I keep planning to develop my career as a contemporary painter. On the other hand, I’m also finding a chance to release webtoon as BAMBOO.
9. What about in ten?
It depends on my future.
10. What do you hope to achieve with your art?
I hope that my cartoons can be an exemplification of Korean youth reality.
11. Now, tell us a little more about you as a person: what is your favourite food?
I like almost all kinds of noodles.
12. Favourite book?
Recently, Helter Skelter (by Kyoko Okazaki).
13. Favourite genre of music?
14. What are your hobbies?
15. If you weren’t an artist, what would you be?
I think if I weren’t an artist, I would be an art historian.