1. What’s your story? Where are you from?
I’m BAMBOO. I’m living and working in Seoul, Korea. I’m majoring in painting. This BAMBOO identity is for illustration and cartoons. But I also do paint.
2. Tell us about your aesthetic.
My works are basically derived from a story I’ve gone through. Last year, I published an independent cartoon book titled “Life Of Miju”. Miju is my female persona in the Korean society. I’m aiming to express the condition of society, especially the feminism issues, through cute images.
3. What is your favourite medium and why?
I usually use Photoshop. But when I need to draw a cartoon, I prefer Clipstudio.
4. What is your artistic process like?
First of all, I think about the storyline which is from happening around me. then I sketch roughly for giving a shape to the idea. The most important thing in the entire process is collecting references.
5. Who and/or what inspires your work?
There is no specific artist who inspires me, but I get ideas mainly from SNS, like Instagram. I enjoy viewing artworks, graphic design works through Instagram.
6. What role does art play in your life? How does it change the way you view the world?
Art made me get some sort of confidence. I’d been an introverted person when I was younger, so I’d been afraid to express myself. But now I know that my voice is gradually working on readers.
7. Where did you study?
I got a BFA of painting at Seoul National University which located in Seoul / Now I am in the master ‘s course.
8. Where do you see yourself in five years?
I’m going to focus on my original major, painting. I have a lot of interest in contemporary painting, so I keep planning to develop my career as a contemporary painter. On the other hand, I’m also finding a chance to release webtoon as BAMBOO.
9. What about in ten?
It depends on my future.
10. What do you hope to achieve with your art?
I hope that my cartoons can be an exemplification of Korean youth reality.
11. Now, tell us a little more about you as a person: what is your favourite food?
I like almost all kinds of noodles.
12. Favourite book?
Recently, Helter Skelter (by Kyoko Okazaki).
13. Favourite genre of music?
14. What are your hobbies?
15. If you weren’t an artist, what would you be?
I think if I weren’t an artist, I would be an art historian.