1. What’s your story? Where are you from?
I live in Korea. I’m Ahn Hyun-Jung who works as a freelance illustrator. I always like to decorate and create and work by hand.
2. Tell us about your aesthetic.
I like paintings that are easy to see and makes me feel good. So I’m trying to add various colors and wit to familiar scenes.
3. What is your favourite medium and why?
I also like to work with colored pencils and paints. But nowadays, I’m doing more digital work. It is good to combine various colors and modify them infinitely.
4. What is your artistic process like?
It starts with a little doodle. The image that comes to mind is completed by graffiti, sketching, correcting lines, and correcting color.
5. Who and/or what inspires your work?
Something that inspires my work can be a trip or a movie or a childhood memory. Everything I see and hear around me inspires me.
6. What role does art play in your life? How does it change the way you view the world?
It is work and is a break. Because what happens around me and my little routine becomes a picture and I always try to find something. Painting makes everyday life special. These work processes make me happier and more affluent.
7. Where did you study?
I have liked to draw pictures since I was young. My paintings seem to have always been with me in my life. I didn’t major in painting.
8. Where do you see yourself in five years?
I hope that more satisfying paintings come out. I hope to see my paintings in various brands and products.
9. What about in ten?
Can I see my paintings all over the world?
10. What do you hope to achieve with your art?
I think I’ll be happy. If someone feels a little happy with my paintings.
11. Now, tell us a little more about you as a person: what is your favourite food?
I like Korean food. Especially, anything made with kimchi is great!
12. Favourite book?
I like Bernard Werber books. I also like picture books and interior magazines.
13. Favourite genre of music?
I like all kinds of music regardless of genre. The music I want to listen to depends on the weather and my mood.
14. What are your hobbies?
I like to travel and make something with my hands. I also love sewing machines, so when I have time, I reform clothes and make simple fabric items.
15. If you weren’t an artist, what would you be?
I like clothes as much as painting. I want to do clothes making.