1. What’s your story? Where are you from?
Hi, I’m CLEA, a graphic designer based in Taiwan, a beautiful island where is summer everyday. I’m also a cat person.
2. Tell us about your aesthetic.
Visually, I usually draw a lot of stuff which make me feel good into my works, like plants, girls with dead fish eyes, summer, soft tones palettes…etc. I also like to let my work have some small stories to make people think.
3. What is your favourite medium and why?
Digital, I use software like ClipStudioPaint or Photoshop with wacom tablet. Recently I started drawing on ipad with procreate, it’s more convenient than I thought.
4. What is your artistic process like?
I sketch my ideas on paper first, or write it in memo, and then spend a lot of time on the color matching until I am satisfied.
5. Who and/or what inspires your work?
I get a lot of inspiration by things makes me feel bad from day life, it’s like a way to relieve daily stress. I like to turn these negative things to a likeable way.
When I run out of ideas, I usually go watch some TV shows or start sketching anything around me.
6. What role does art play in your life? How does it change the way you view the world?
It’s like a cure for me, drawing makes me feel better about everything.
It also another way to connect others, I met a lot of people because of my works.
7. Where did you study?
I majored in commercial design at NTUST.
8. Where do you see yourself in five years?
Probably being a freelance illustrator, working in a lovely studio and racking my brains everyday to come out with ideas.
9. What about in ten?
Hope I’ll be still alive and living happily.
10. What do you hope to achieve with your art?
Not sure what I want, but I hope people can feel something from my work.
11. Now, tell us a little more about you as a person: what is your favourite food?
Everything cooked for me, and salmon cuisine.
12. Favourite book?
I used to collect zines and others independent publications, also Japanese fashion magazines like &Premium, Popeye, Onkul…etc. I love the book with amazing graphic or photos.
13. Favourite genre of music?
It depends on the mood, basically MajesticCasual stuffs, sometimes Taiwan indie music, 80s Japanese city-pop, etc.
14. What are your hobbies?
I enjoy walking, taking pictures, planning for travel, watching tv shows, and playing with my cat.
15. If you weren’t an artist, what would you be?
Something relating to plants, maybe a gardener, or florist.